Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Graham Bunn

Not something that you would expect to fail, but I just had one come apart- it appears to have happened due to corrosion in the threaded part of the rod end, right where the lock-nut was. Who knows how old the part was, but it looked newer than the rod-end on the other end of the rod, so maybe less than 50 years old. Fortunately no other damage has occurred as a result of this, as it was spotted (I presume) just after it happened. I had to fly the rest of the trip with the gear down after taking the gear door rod off; it reminded me just how poor the performance is with gear down (you cant get to gear door operating speed!). Anyway, I am about to order replacements for all four rod ends- they are not all that expensive.

Graham Bunn

Following up on this strange occurrence… after much research and sending photos to Matt Kurke at ComancheGear, I now understand that the brackets supporting the top of the gear door rods are bent- to such an extent that they have been putting a lot of stress on the rod end bearings- probably for many years. I will have to take those brackets off and bend them back to the correct shape, then re-rig the gear doors – this time with all-new rod ends (already installed), bolts, washers and nuts, and… slightly modified gear door hinges. The ComancheGear site has photos and an explanation of sorts, but it takes some reading and figuring out.

I will write an article with illustrative photos as I get this job done. It would surprise me greatly if there are not quite a few more of these bent brackets out there…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Member Login